|Weekly SEO news: 21 January 2020|
Here are the latest website promotion and Internet marketing tips for you.
We hope that you enjoy this newsletter and that it helps you to get more out of your website. Please forward this newsletter to your friends.
Google announced the January 2020 core update this week. Google's last core didn't have a big impact on the search engine rankings of most websites. It might be that this update is bigger.
Google announced a global update
Later today, we are releasing a broad core algorithm update, as we do several times per year. It is called the January 2020 Core Update. Our guidance about such updates remains as we’ve covered before. Please see this blog post for more about that:https://t.co/e5ZQUA3RC6— Google SearchLiaison (@searchliaison) January 13, 2020
It’s a global update. It has (and does always unless we say otherwise) rolled out globally.— Danny Sullivan (@dannysullivan) January 16, 2020
For those who have asked, the update is mostly done, though as with any core update, it may take to two weeks to fully complete.— Google SearchLiaison (@searchliaison) January 16, 2020
What you should do now
Google's advice for core updates remains the same. Core updates do not penalize websites. For example, cleaning your links won’t help if your rankings drop after a core update. Instead, it’s likely that other websites do something better than your website.
If you want to get high rankings with Google's new ranking algorithm, just do the usual things that are needed to get high rankings:
1. Create web pages with good content
Your website should contain many pages that are related to the topic of your website. If the content of your website is unique, it will be much easier to get high rankings on Google (and other search engines).
2. Get good links from other websites
If your web pages have good links from related websites, they will rank higher than other pages that do not have these links. Analyze the links that point to your site and improve the links that point to your web pages.
If there are unnatural links to your web pages, you should remove these bad links.
3. Make sure that your website is mobile-ready
Most people visit websites on smartphones. For that reason, it is very important that your website works with mobile phones. The website audit tool in SEOprofiler can check if your pages can be indexed by mobile search engine robots.
4. Use structured data markup code
Although structured data markup code is not necessary to get high rankings, rich results help to improve the look of your website on Google’s search results pages. The Rich Results Creator in SEOprofiler helps you to create necessary code as easily as possible.
Have your rankings changed?
You can monitor the rankings of your web pages with the Ranking Monitor in SEOprofiler. The Ranking Monitor enables you to react when your rankings drop.
The Ranking Monitor also shows the days on which algorithm updates happen so that you can quickly see if a ranking change might be related to an algorithm update:
Improve your rankings now
The tools in SEOprofiler also help you to optimize your web pages for Google's ranking algorithm.
You get everything you need to get high rankings on Google and other search engines: keyword research tools, web page optimization tools, SEO website audits, uptime monitoring, and much more.
+++ SEARCH +++ ENGINE +++ NEWS +++ TICKER +++
- Google: we might not crawl large files so much.
- Google now also showing free product listings.
- Microsoft Ads: making your performance reporting clearer and more reliable.
- Google results for probiotics are totally unreliable.
- Google Assistant routines haven't worked on Android Auto for over a year, still no fix in sight.
- The state of mobile in 2020: the key stats you need to know.
- Google wants to phase out support for third-party cookies in Chrome within two years.
- Google: spam reports do help.
- Google showing wrong URLs in search results.
- How to identify thin content on your website
- How to use heading tags on your web pages (and how to check them)
- Technical SEO website audits made easy
- Google finally confirms the November 2019 local search update
- Click-depth as a ranking factor (and how to find the click depth of all pages on your website)
- New in SEOprofiler: more locations for local SEO and rank tracking
- Google Chrome: your website usually loads slow (and how to fix it)
- Bing announces penalty for inorganic site structures
- Better keywords lead to more revenue
- View all past issues...